I have been using Mate Internet for around 2 years now (50 Mbps FTTN no contract Plan) and very happy with the service and Internet provided.
On the two times when I have had to contact support, I have found them excellent to deal with.
The first time was when my area lost nbn for 30 minutes (beyond their control) they kept me up to date by text messages.
The second time (this week) they helped me with providing the settings I needed to enter into my byo modem router I bought to replace the 2 year old one which started playing up. They gave me clear concise instructions.
I have no regrets utilising their services. It is refreshing dealing people in an Australian call centre.
Review by Tummers LaCabe4 months ago
1. So I signed up for mate internet and told them to wait Until I say to turn it over. As my Optus modem is locked, and I don’t want to be without internet while waiting for another modem. They said they would wait till advised, they did it the next day without me saying they could.
2. They turned it over prematurely, took 80 dollars out of my account without asking! Then due to them switching it over I have been cut off my Optus internet for a week, and I had to pay $80 for a months internet from Optus that I can’t even use because they switched me over before I said they could!
3. They offer me 40 dollars of credit which I think is absolutely bu1lshit because I am now $100 over my phone credit which only gave me 10 GB to work with and I had to pay $80 for a months worth of Optus internet that I can’t use! Then they expect me to pay $40 for a months worth of mate internet (after the bu1lshit $40 credit you gave.)
4. My surveillance cameras(which work off the internet!) have also been down for this week. I paid 1400 for surveillance cameras for a reason, due to past people coming to my door. Now they have been down for a week and multiple events have happened that I wish were recorded!
5. After quite some time I finally get the modem for the internet, it wasn’t the right one. Then I go to Harvey Norman and get a second modem, they say it was faulty, so I go and get a third modem. $90 of Uber fees later...
6. I finally get home and try the third modem for hours the way I did with the second. Didn’t work, turns out the operator put a speed stabiliser on my account which has totally kicked me off the internet. No dsl at all, I have gotten no DSL since he has done that!
7. I call up and your operator says putting the speed profile thing totally kicked me off the internet, that it could take 48 hours for the speed profile to be removed. More Time without the internet!
8. So after losing 18 hours of my life over the course of a week and going through and buying three different modems, paying $80 for a month of Optus I can’t use. Those guys still only offer the 40 dollars for this month bu1lshit service. Spending $90 in Uber fees to get those modems. 10 gigabytes over my phone internet ($100) because I haven’t had working internet for well over a week. Having to pay for a third modem. They then say I guess it must be something wrong with NBN!
9. I call up nbn to see what is what and they say my ISP has to take care of it, that it is mates job.
10. I say everything that has happened, then they put me through to someone who said he was the manager but seemed more so to be another operator, scared that they are going to get in trouble.
11. I tell “the manager” my situation, how at this point I have lost 18 hours of my life over the course of a week trying to sort this bu1lshit out. I then ask for a refund and credit to which he says I’m a technical manager, I can’t help you with that and tried to pass the buck. He then said to send an email and someone may see it. That that’s the process, something like this goes wrong and you send an email. Kinda bu1lshit when I should just be able to call up and sort this out rather than having to type out a long email! It seems like a way of making things too hard so people just give up on a proper refund rather than go through the lengthy email process. Not happy about that at all!
12. He then said we can cancel your service and refund the 80 I originally paid, that way he doesn’t have to pay me the $40 in credit he offered, or give me a fuck1ng proper refund comparable to to hundreds of dollars I have lost.
13. So after losing 18 hours of my life, $100 in mobile data, 95 dollars in Uber fees (changing the modems), 40 dollars changing the second modem over with the third modem. I then loose $500 dollars a friend who offered me to teach them art lessons over Skype because my internet won’t work. So I’m out over $800 and 18 hours of my fuck1ng life, following this fuck1ng mess up! when I should have just stayed with Optus!
14. I also suffer from insomnia, even more so since my mum passed (I was a carer for 8 years before she died) So I really have nothing to do in the day, let alone the night. Just left with my thoughts as most things I would be doing involve the internet.
15. So how are they going to fix this! every time Optus messed up they gave me credit on my phone to use until it’s back to normal, then comped the bill and money I have spent fixing their mess. Effectively making it so I have internet in the meantime and I’m not wearing the cost of their mistakes. So far all I have gotten from those guys is $40, no real follow ups, no date where things will be fixed, no idea what is happening with NBN. I’m out over $800, 18 hours of my life, I can’t do anything I usually would do, my mind has been on this the entire week and all my surveillance cameras are down!
16. I’m currently thinking of calling the internet ombudsman for bad business practices, and or suing till I get some of my money back.
17. Are they going to match Optus in any meaningful way and pay me back some of the hundreds I have lost. Or are they going to disappoint me even more heavily and offer no meaningful resolutions at all as they have so far done.
18. I literally had three friends I was telling to switch to those guys after seeing good reviews. Now I really have nothing good to say. At least when Optus messes up they would properly fix the situation...Fix the situation in an adequate way and I’ll be happy, so far I’m REEEEALY NOT HAPPY!
UPDATE, they canceled my service without any given reasons and refunded $80 of the 800+ that I am out, all to cover their @ss. When all I was asking them for was 160. 80 for their bad service that I paid for and 80 for kicking me off Optus before I said they could, thus making it so I couldn’t use the month of Optus I had to still pay for! Instead they were rude and dismissive, didn’t help with the money I am now out. They’re quite a terrible company. Choose another service that actually has your back when things like these go wrong. As they said to me, all they can do is pay a percentage of the days you’re down. So if you’re out for a day they can give you back 2.6 dollars. If your internet is out for an entire month they will give you your month back ($80.) but they won’t help you in any other way in the meantime... Optus will send you out a dongle with 50 gigabytes preloaded as they just did for me after all this. They will also give you more of your money back and won’t be dismissive of your situation... choose another company, this one is not worth your time or money. Optus is something hard, but they have your back and will provide gigabytes when the internet is down.
!!!!!UPDATE, THE FOLLOWING IS A REPLY TO THEIR REPLY! BECAUSE THERE ISNT A SECTION TO REPLY TO THEIR REPLY IM PUTTING IT HERE. Read their reply first then read the following!!!!!
You gave me half a month of credit, but by canceling my account for no reason all I got was the $80 I already paid. So I actually got nothing, but it cost me 800! Due to your bad service messing me around greatly.
The first modem I got was wrong and I admitted it. The second modem (with DSL) wasn’t working so your person made me go and get another one. Then after the third modem he said there must be something wrong with my port and will have to get NBN out. Meaning if he had of gave me the proper advice I would have stuck with the second modem and he would have got NBN out. INSTEAD OF ME BUYING A THIRD DAMN MODEM!!
At the end you said you were sending NBN out, I waited quite a few days. Then you [email protected]@sses canceled my account without warning OR ASKING ME!! This made it so NBN isn’t coming out. Meaning my ports may be damaged. So you guys set me back another 10 days before NBN sets an appointment to come out. I’m waiting from a response from Optus.
Any attempt at compensation or work around and you just say sorry sir you’re a residential service. Like pretty much saying we really don’t care about you or your service, pay business class or we really don’t care. So no you never gave me $40 credit. You canceled my service without any warning or asking if I want my service canceled. As I can see you have done the same to MULTIPLE PEOPLE in this review section. Something gets a little hard and you guys just cancel the service to save yourself the trouble and to COVER YOUR @SS!
No $40 credit as you spoke of because you canceled my account without warning or asking! You scr€we’d me around for multiple days, gave me terrible advice. MADE IT SO IT WILL BE MORE WEEKS UNTIL MY SERVICE IS FULLY BACK. Cost me hundreds of dollars. Then I have to get a condescending response from someone from your team with limited understanding of what actually happend, and no care what it cost. Once again you’re just covering your @ss.
TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE PEOPLE! Who ever is reading this don’t trust the good reviews, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out they buy people, bots or their workers to fill them out. The off chance that isn’t the case it must be because those users haven’t delt with a serious issue from mate yet, thus haven’t had to go through the terrible service I have gone through yet.
At the end of the day these people are salesmen who only care about your money AND WILL CANCEL YOUR SERVICE WITHOUT WARNING OR ASKING IF THINGS GET HARD. Go for a larger, better company like Optus. I thought they were bad utill I went to mate internet and got a first hand lesson about how bad an internet service can be. POSSIBLY SAVE YOURSELF $800 HARD EARNED DOLLERS THE WAY I LOST MINE. GO WITH SOMEONE ELS!!!!
Review by Vinlee Thirumalaisamy5 months ago
If I could give a zero star review I would. I signed up for 100mbs nbn with mate and received nothing for 3 weeks. They charged me $200 for this and refuse to explain why this is when the service is only $100 per month. They debited money after just 2 weeks and at this popint I had not been given a service only message saying they don't lknow when I would be getting a service. In the third week they provided me with 20mbs nbn service that constantly dropped out so I only had like a couple hours nbn per day. They Lied about conversation that took place and when I played back recordings for them they refused to listen half way through as they proved mate to be lying. They refused to answer any questions I had and claimed that the problems were due to the incompetence of staff. When I told them they need to answer my questions and sort out my service they cancelled my account. So........ I received no service from them, used all my mobile data, went without a phone ;line and lost business due to their incompetence and not being able to receive emails or conduct simple tasks online. They replied "thats not our problem" "why should we explain to customers".
Astonishing to say the least. Unbelievable, disgusting and incompetent company that clearly doesn't care for the customers, only getting their money.
Review by DLagar6 months ago
Clearly states in the advertisement 0$ sign up fee, its says that early and often. It's not true, they in fact do have a charge of AU$59.00. They get away with it saying it's a pass through charge from Telstra and not them.
Been on the phone with someone from Mates who INSISTED it showed after you clicked on "I don't have an active phone line" that AU$59.00 fee would be charged, it doesn't. We went through the whole process again together over the phone and it didn't, like, at all. You would have to download and read the whole fine print to find out. Tried cancelling it, and even though it was two days ago it can no longer be done without paying the first full month + $59.00.
Dodgy effing practices and a customer service who aggressively INSISTS you are wrong and then when proved wrong just falls back to "well you should have read the fine print".
Great start "Mate".
Review by AMAcustomer6 months ago
Terrible congestion speeds, support is useless and is afraid to escalate anything.
I paid for NBN 50 and got 5mps a second during peak and they didnt want to acknowledge the problem.
EDIT: Unfortunately i cant reply, below mate claim that the various gaming services are the problem and are the reason i was experiencing congestion. This i proved against multiple times and showed that it was ever single service that i used that had serious congestion issues in perth, not just gaming services.
After changing ISPs my problem was instantly fixed for all services, confirming the issue was poor congestion management on MATE's end.
Their complete denial of congestion issues across every single service is very worrying, save your time, go with auzzie broadband instead if you want to use the advertised speeds.
Review by Brai6 months ago
I signed up for Mate's NBN connection 18 months ago after reading some awesome reviews on the web. The customer service team are fantastic - instead of waiting on hold for your call to be answered you leave a voicemail message and they call you back. I've never waited longer than 20 minutes. Very friendly customer service operators and have found solutions to 2 problems I encountered over the last 18 months; NBN cut me off for no reason and I was having wifi coverage issues in the house (needed to buy an extender). Very happy with the monthly fee I pay for the speed I receive, which is pretty consistent in peak hours. Highly recommend Mate!
Review by AmandaSteven7 months ago
Excellent service, never been down and faster than any of the competitors and cheaper
Review by Srimal7 months ago
We had 9 months with this provider who blamed us for them not being able to provide the service we paid for. We had Telstra check the line under the threat that we would pay if they didn't find a fault. Mate arranged Telstra to attend on the wrong date then told us that we may have to pay if we need them to come again, even though they never attended. We had the cabling rewired from the network boundary to the only point in the house. The service was still not consistent, and we even bought the modem they recommended. To stick it to us as we finally gave up and left they charged us for a full month even though we canceled the plan a couple of days into it. Horrible experience. We have switched providers and now have a 75 Mbps service at the same address.
Review by Borras Hurl8 months ago
I give these guys 4 stars and I'm not even a customer yet. Im so uneducated on this whole NBN and Internet thing and these guys have taken I reckon around 5 calls from me already and spent 20 mins each time on the phone answering my questions (not to mention live chat questions).
The reason I felt I had to write this review is that I spend alot of time on TP looking at company's that I potentially want to go with and I saw the previous comment from Gutter about mate and I'm not saying she is wrong (I'm not a customer yet so can't judge that part) but compared to my multiple dealings with mate (vs. Other providers) they have been really friendly informative and super helpful and I'm not even a customer!! Gutter and other people reviewing any company on a platform like this, have you really looked in your own backyard first and made sure the problem isn't with you and not the company you are with? I mean mate has no contracts, if it doesn't work move on, big deal. I think a company that has no contracts is a company backing themselves for a reason. Anyway just my 2 cents. Have a great day TP crew.
Review by Ouadi Develin10 months ago
Have been with Mate Communicate for over 12 months (Gold Coast) and our NBN connection has been almost faultless. Connection is good, no drop outs, no loss of speed (to be honest... rarely). If I have had an issue it has been rectified with a single phone call. This is the only service provider I actually enjoy calling (I'm referring to all services such as phone, electricity, power, banking etc). I can honestly say it is a joy to speak to a person, a friendly person who is genuinely keen to help, who asks insightful questions because they know what they are doing and don't need to refer you on as they have the technical expertise. Excellent service, great product, best value for money.
Review by Dericka10 months ago
After a few teething problems during setup we now have an excellent service great speeds and reliable connection
Review by Tresnia10 months ago
Best company, no BS.
Review by Firmenich Taushansky10 months ago
* PLEASE READ BEFORE CHOOSING MATE*
Would like to say if you're looking at going with mate please save yourself the stress, frustration and hassle.... pure waste of time, never own up to their own problems and left us without internet when we have paid up until the 19th. This morning cut our internet off, because we told them at end of bill cycle we are changing providers. Had really patchy internet connection since about October last year, have reported it to them so many times, and they only blame it on NBN, then on Router (bought a brand new one for $179) still wasn't working and then blamed us for having the bad connection. Worst provider available to this day avoid at all costs!
Review by Arkr10 months ago
Honestly really good, very supportive when the NBN people wouldn't fix my line. The internet can be a little unstable for gaming but that's the NBN's fault.
Prices are great for what you get, I almost assumed it was a scam but nope it's legit.
Review by Billicent10 months ago
CIS: "All MATE Communicate plans are billed in advance"
Advertisements: "No contracts ever"
But you better believe if something ever happens to you, we will engage in a campaign of harassment and stick the boot in a few times while you are down for the 10 count.
"1 month plans billed in advance".
Not the case. You have been warned people.
Edit to company reply: Sorry, would rather you didn't post my details on facebook like I have seen in other reviews. I don't even have facebook, thanks anyway. ;D
Review by DavidPeterson10 months ago
Download speeds of 7Mb, paying for 100.
speedtest.net result number was 7798710542 - can't post links here.
Has been like this all night.
Customer service is a joke.
Could not advise on connection or modem problems.
When you think nbn, think MATE - and think how lucky you are you used someone else!
Review by MickJ10 months ago
Since signing up with Mate Communicate our internet connection and speed, overall, has been solid. In addition to this, the plan we signed up for unexpectedly went down by $20 at the start of this year from $89/month to $69/month. Thanks for everything so far, mate.
Review by Melinna10 months ago
Such a great service.same day activation. Lightning fast speed 46 mbps in 50 mbps plan.very polite and supportive staff. I think, i dont need anything else from a NBN service provider.if you want a reliable NBN service,Just go for it.
Review by Mbjoba10 months ago
I'm feeling bad because MATE Internet took my money, provided no service, sends rediculous emails to customers telling them stupid things to do when THEY are at fault and don't give service. Listen MATE, if you go to a petrol station and pay $69 for fuel and you got no petrol, don't you think you're cheated? That is what you are doing to all your customers everyday. True reviews can be read as people are getting hurt, losing money, time AND causing terrible emotions. MATE Communicate, WAKE UP! This is Australia and people deserve true honest service. People do not complain for no reasons. They chose you because you promote this "Talk to a real person" crap. I called your support but no one answered. Later a person from your sales team calls me with no clue. And STOP with your FAKE reviews about your own business. People are not stupid and can read any positive glowing reviews are self made. Who or which service provider did you play to spray the internet with your positive reviews? Terrible. You do a good service, everyone will say good honest positive things because we the consumers are all looking for a decent, reliable honest good service provider in the internet provider services as it's so hard to find! What's wrong with you. Stop cheating, stealing money. GIVE IT BACK!
Review by HaleyBree Grittiths11 months ago
Cherish life, stay away from Mate
1. Their company is a fraudulent fake company, and there is no real technical support at all.
The installation and technical support are all telstra. If any problems arise, they will all be pushed to telstra.
2. 60 installation fee! There is no installation fee on the surface, but it will be deducted in the second month.
3. I was completely deceived by the customer service! Customer service deceives customers! I handled the ADSL Internet service of his family. As a result, they said that it was opened. Within a week of starting to collect my money, I still couldn’t get on the Internet and gave them 10 calls. They said that it was my router at home, I bought a new router ($190), which was dedicated to playing games, but still showed no signal from the network. So it is not a router problem at all, I was completely deceived by the customer service.
4.It is completely robbery. After I connected the phone-line, there was no signal at all, indicating that they did not activate at all . they started charging my service fee without activation! It is completely robbery.
5, a technical support for $169.99! ! ! I don't know where their fees are referenced, too frivolous. I waited for 3 weeks and they tell me they need for money for pay the Telstra support, that's BS.
6, the most S thing, I am now successfully replaced with TPG, the price is cheaper than Mate. It's still easy to use,
Cherish life, stay away from Mate
Review by ChenKeat11 months ago
Quite happy with their service.
Review by Pu Nazarjuk11 months ago
Our connection speed is generally slow, and the connection drops to unusable speeds (emails and Facebook won't load) around once a fortnight, sometimes more often. Customer service is excellent but that doesn't help our technical situation.
Review by Farnwarner Gautschi11 months ago
Over promise, when it works it’s mediocre at best and they’ll constantly blame Telstra - rarely apologetic and take ownership.
I’d avoid at all costs!!!
Review by Nbk1 year ago
I now have two NBN accounts with Mate. One in Perth and the other in Canberra. The Canberra account became active on Monday, less than a week after I signed up. The new modem arrived within a couple of days. NBN set up the connection first appointment on the planned date and the line was active immediately. We plugged in the Mate modem and 10 minutes later we were online with glorious high speed internet. We have suffered an almost unusable internet service since we moved into this house 3 years ago (we were pretty much on the edge of service from the exchange in Yarralumla) and now its like a miracle. Just as Mate did when I signed up with them in Perth they send emails and texts at every stage to tell you whats happening next and when and when its done. When I say sign up I dont mean signing a contract - its month to month so your not locked in. I’ve also decided to switch one of our mobiles to their mobile phone Sim. They use the Telstra network (which if you live outside a capital city is the only real option) so if it works then I’ll switch all other devices across as well. When you call them the staff are great. I couldn’t be happier.
Review by Georgina Pitts1 year ago
I will never use mate internet ever.
My internet line has been not working 3 weeks more, but mate doesn't care.
They send me a invoice mail correctly.
I gave up to wait anymore,
I reccomend you guys never choose mate.