We climbed Kilimanjaro in July 2018 and it was one of the hardest and most rewarding things ever! Hard because of the altitude, cold and being dirty (no shower for 8 days) but rewarding because there are few things in life that are both so physically and mentally challenging that we have the option to do or not! Physically, it's not a steep climb, but you are just so tired and the effects of the altitude (I'm allergic to the altitude drugs) were tough.
We used Jiwe adventures - Everything was perfectly organized, from pick up at the airport, transport to and from hotel, to the hike itself. The guides were very knowledgeable, porters, cooks and others who helped us absolutely friendly.
We had a fantastic time and made it all up to the summit! Unforgettable!
Jiwe adventures was definitely the best choice we made when planning our Kilimanjaro trip. Highly recommend!!
Review by Mohawktattoostudio Munteanu1 year ago
Below is my complaint to Mr Viktor Ketansi of Tanzania National Parks Authority against the cheating and fraud perpetrated by Mr Edgar Sirikwa of Jiwe Adventures:
"Dear Mr. Ketansi,
I am an established explorer and author, Fellow of Explorers Club USA Fellow of Royal Geographical Society, and Editor of Indian Mountaineer. In 2006, when I was leading the Gondwanaland Expedition - a scientific mission and a 25,000km motoring adventure from Indian Himalaya to Cape Agulhus, the southernmost point of Africa, we were provided excellent support in Tanzania National Parks Authority and all our vehicles carried their logo during the course of the three-month expedition.
This is to bring to your kind attention fraud and deceit perpetrated by Mr. Edgar Sirikwa, proprietor of Jiwe Adventures in Moshi.
The facts of the matter are as below:
1. In 2016, I had engaged the services of Jiwe Adventures for my Kilimanjaro climb. As he had provided a reasonable service, I engaged them for my forthcoming visit to Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara with my wife.
2. Edgar agreed to provide the following services:
- pick-up from Arusha airport and drop off at Serena Manyara
- hotel booking at Serena Manyara for two nights
- half-day safari at Lake Manyara on Day 1
- full day safari at Lake Manyara on Day 2
- transfer to Serena Ngorongoro on Day 3
- hotel booking at Serena Ngorongoro for two nights
- half-day carter safari on Day 3
- full day crater safari on Day 4
- transfer to Moshi on Day 5
- hotel booking at Moshi for one night
- transfer to Kilimanjaro airport on Day 6
3. Edgar wrote that he would send me the hotel booking confirmations as soon as he received an advance of US$335.
4. The deposit amount was sent to his account by bank transfer in January 2018.
5. After confirming receipt of advance on January 18, Edgar stopped replying to my emails and to my Whatsapp messages. I finally called him, and he assured me that he would send the hotel vouchers within a day. However, nothing came.
6. After checking directly with Serena Hotels, I was informed that a booking had been made - but for the wrong dates. Edgar apologised for the mistake.
7. Since February 13 I had been writing to Edgar to confirm if the dates had been changed and a fresh booking made. He did not reply for a month!
8. On March 13, I sent him the following email:
I called you three days ago and you promised to send me the hotel confirmation vouchers by the evening.
Further, you had said that the bookings were made under "Edgar".
Serena Hotels has already confirmed that there are no bookings under that name.
I have forwarded you their email.
As I feel that I am being deceived by you for a long time, I am CANCELLING my visit.
I do not get a good feeling about this - and due to this sad and frustrating experience have no desire to visit Tanzania.
You are requested to kindly return the advance of US$ 335 that I transferred to your bank and acknowledged by you.
Incidentally, after receiving the advance you have not replied to a single mail of mine - I must have sent you over twenty of them. You answered the four phone calls I made to you and each time you promised to email the hotel confirmation vouchers. Sadly, you never kept your word. And, moreover, never made the hotel bookings.
In view of the above, please transfer the amount of $335 to my bank.
Look forward to your early action."
Threatened with cancellation, Edgar replied saying everything will be ok and I should not worry.
9. Meanwhile, Serena Ngorongoro was full on the days we wanted. Edgar suggested, on March 15, we revise our itinerary and first visit Ngorongoro and then Manyara. I agreed. However, he did not send any hotel vouchers - but assured on phone that everything was done.
10. Another couple - Mr and Mrs Ravinder Jain wanted to join us on the trip and transferred US$ 330 to Jiwe Adventures as advance deposit. The payslip conforming transfer of funds was emailed to Edgar on March 30.
11. On March 31, Edgar informs me that we can only do one full day crater drive!!! I sent him copies of his emails of January 15 and March 15 - in which he had confirmed one-half-day and one full day crater drive. That is how the tour was priced. Now he was not honouring his agreement.
12. On April 4, Edgar sends me a Whatsapp saying that since Serena Ngorongoro is full, he will book us at Sopa Lodge - to which I agreed. He said that Sopa had been booked. When I checked directly with Sopa, they said NO booking had been made.
13. On April 12, Edgar Whatsapps me saying Sopa is fully booked and he will now book us in Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge. I checked with Sopa again and Ms Innocent confirmed that they had rooms available for the days we wanted. Again and again, Edgar had been lying to me, misleading me.
14. The same day I wrote to Edgar saying that it seemed beyond him to make the hotel bookings for us - so I offered to make the hotel bookings myself directly with the hotels - and he should provide only the ground services - and we would adjust the deposit paid to him against that. Edgar agreed to this proposal.
15. Accordingly, I made the bookings directly with Serena Manyara and Sopa Ngorongoro.
16. Between April 13-26, Edgar again did not respond to my emails and text messages.
17. On April 27, he again texted that we would go down into the crater only once - again retracting on his agreement.
18. As he had been consistently lying, misleading me, not keeping his words or honouring the agreement - I felt uncomfortable dealing with him and informed him on April 28 that I did not wish to deal with him and he should return the deposit amount totalling US$665.
19. Edgar kept insisting through Whatsapp messages that he will provide the services and see us at the Arusha airport on May 26.
20. My last email to him was on May 4:
As I have cancelled the arrangements with you, as you have not adhered to our agreement and have been consistently misleading me about the arrangements, you are requested to kindly refund the deposit amount of US$ 635 paid by Mr Ravinder Jain and me. This amount may kindly be handed over to Mr. Donald (Tel: 784713081).
If this is not done in the next three days.ie. by Monday, May 7, 2018, I will be reporting the matter to Mr. Victor Ketansi at the Tanzania National Park Authority.
I look forward to your early and positive response.
21. He has not responded after this. Meanwhile, I have arranged with Mr Donald of Friendship Adventures to provide the ground services.
In view of the above, Tanzania National Parks Authority may like to take appropriate action against Jiwe Adventures and assist me in getting the deposit amount back, so I can pay Friendship Adventures.
Mr Edgar Sirikwa's mobile number is: +255 752971075
Many thanks and regards."
Review by Bafford Zencak1 year ago
My partner, myself and a friend were looking at going over to Tanzania we wanted to climb Kili and go on a safari but had absolutely no idea how where why what would be involved. I was trying to sort through websites and tour operators and alot of companies had only specific dates that group tours were starting and if we wanted to go privately we were paying a small fortune . It was looking a bit dire and thought we might have to choose either Kili or the Safari. Until i was recommended to Edgar managing director of JIWE ADVENTURES and got his email address . Instead of waiting days for replies as i had been it was instant same day replies with incredibly helpful information clear costs and so much flexibility on dates , tour times length of tours etc. After back and forward and myself asking EDGAR a million questions ( too which all of the replies were incredibly helpful and patient) we were able to do both Kilimanjaro climb and do the safari both on private tours and extremely affordable ! From the day we booked it we had smooth sailing itineraries sent all the information you want on the country, tipping, safety to our guides coming to our hotel pre kili and pre safari to get us all ready and excited. To both our Kili guides and porters being incredibly wonderful friendly professional personable knowledgeable to our extremely kind hearted Safari guide who we spent 4 wonderful days camping in the Serengeti / Tarangire with.. Philip answered all of my ten thousand animal questions with such ease and patience .. I couldn't recommend a better company/people to deal with rather than Jiwe adventiures.
Review by Sharmma3 years ago
We booked a 4 day safari with Jiwe Adventures. They set us up with a great guide Stanley. He took us to Tarangire Park, the Ngorongoro crater and Serengeti! It was a trip of a life time.
Should I ever return to Tanzania, I will definitely book another safari with Jiwe adventures
Review by Chronicles Boian3 years ago
On October 2015 me and my three friends climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for six days and then 4 days safari to Manyara,Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater. The safari and Kilimanjaro climbing trip was well organized the crew took care of us and our guide Shani was a professional personel he answer countless questions from us to make sure we don't miss anything in our safari. Thank you Jiwe adventures
Review by Amandeer3 years ago
I decided, along with 3 friends, to climb Kilimanjaro earlier this year. After some research on the internet I decided to use a company based in Tanzania called ''JIWE ADVENTURES''. The owner Edgar was efficient and knowledgeable man. He always responded to emails immediately and when we arrived in Tanzania was easy to get hold. He came to the hotel the evening we arrived, saw us off on the day of the trek and welcomed us back. He made sure that we had everything we needed but was never pushy. The trip up Kilimanjaro was everything I had hoped for and Edgar's team made sure we were well looked after. I would definitely recommend "Jiwe Adventures'' to anyone thinking of climbing Kilimanjaro.
Jiweadventures is rated 4.0 based on
Trust Mamma Reviews
Our reviews are aggregated from multiple sources to give you the best overview about jiweadventures.com.
Kengeledongo street, Moshi,Tanzania