NOTE: I have also posted a separate review about another service, which I am using as a template for this review. Some comments will be the same. Yes, I have used both services.
Hi. I'm two boxes into my Bombfell experience.
I have a limited budget, so I went with the lowest or second lowest range in every category. I don't expect to request more than 4 boxes per year (sort of depends on how things go through my next box). My goal is to gradually supplement my wardrobe with higher quality, interesting pieces that are a little cooler than what I normally buy. I do ok myself or with the wife's help, but could stand to invigorate my style somewhat, be that casually or at work (typically business casual) or otherwise.
- I didn't have to physically go shopping. I HATE shopping.
- Seeing (previewing) my items online. So awesome. With other similar services, I understand the idea behind NOT allowing previews; some guys will not like what they see online and may remove items that might've actually worked (sometimes you don't know til you try it on), but I love Bombfell's approach here. I like that extra measure of control. Hey, I'm already giving up some control by virtue of having a stylist pick stuff out.
- Good quality clothes, some significantly higher than expected
- Good customer service
- Easy to use site, but there some glitches...see cons
- So far, achieving my style goals
- Returns via FedEx, pretty easy even if not always the most convenient
- Seven days to decide what to keep/return (more than competitors, and Bombfell seems to be similarly flexible if you need more time for some reason)
- Some items seem pricier than they should be. I sent back a lightweight rain jacket that wasn't that special but cost like 140 bucks. No thanks.
- Glitches, man. I received a second box right away, even though I didn't request one. I decided to be a good sport about it. They apologized, but I feel like they should have offered to refund the stylist fee (even if only in the event that I returned everything). Also, I already checked out of a previous order, but the option to check out for that specific item was still there in my account. ??? Lastly, I seem to have two stylists. My first stylist did quite well with my first box. The second box appears to have come from a different stylist, and I only liked one item. I seem to have ongoing contact with both stylists. It's a bit confusing.
Is it worth it? For me, yes. So far. My next Bombfell box may add to or lessen that sentiment. That's how these things go. For the extremely budget-conscious (me), there's a slight sense that maybe some of the items you receive aren't any better than a cheaper similar item you can buy or have bought in one of the more common stores - it's not been the most common experience, but it happens.. HOWEVER, I also feel like many items are better quality than I would normally buy, and some are also much more stylish. Interestingly, a few items were very underwhelming.. I suspect that this service could be absolutely awesome if your budget is higher than the lowest tier. Still, even as a general cheapskate, I hope that the styling fee will always seem to be well earned; I didn't feel that way about the second box. I feel like there's a good chance that I won't always use Bombfell or similar services, but it is helping me to up my style game for the long term, regardless.
Even if you think you won't like something, TRY IT ON.
Do not feel obligated to keep even one item from your box. Keep what you love. Return what you don't. Your wallet will thank you. Put the styling fee out of your mind. Give your stylist a chance or two, but don't be afraid to get a different one. Although I'm only two boxes in, my wife has done, I am also drawing on my/my wife's experiences with StitchFix (another decent option).
Guys, I say Bombfell is worth a couple of tries, if you despise shopping and/or have little time to deal with the mystery of dressing yourself stylishly well. You may get lucky right away, or you might not. Stick to your budget and - this might seem crazy - have a little fun with it.
Bombfell is rated 3.0 based on
Trust Mamma Reviews
Our reviews are aggregated from multiple sources to give you the best overview about bombfell.com.